We are currently experiencing issues with the server again. We are steadfastly working to correct the situation. We will try and keep you updated as things progress.

-Piper, Joyce, Cat and Peeps.

UPDATE: It is hardware failure having corrupted the database, we’re trying to bring things back up without losing anything. Gifts to the Hatbox or the BC Hardware fund to help us out can be sent via Paypal to Joyce at QnEZ.com. Thanks.

SHORT UPDATE: BC has a gigantic database, we’ve been able to read the failed drive but the info is not in the form of a database anymore. It got scrambled, to put it in simple terms. What we’ve been doing for the last many hours is reassembling the database. We had hoped to be done by this evening but it may take a bit longer.

MORNING UPDATE: Just so everyone knows, we are making progress. 🙂

MONDAY UPDATE: We’ve made considerable progress in restoring the story database and now need to get the other parts of the data in order. Then final testings and probably some adjustments. No timeline at the moment, but soon is something that can be hoped for and looked forward to. Thanks to everyone who has contributed, that will help enormously in making plans to see this sort of thing does not happen again.

TUESDAY UPDATE: We’ve got the site up and running with most stories recovered (not publicly available, sorry), but lots of stuff still needs to be done. The internal links, kudos, read counts, private messages and a number of other things still need to be recovered and we seem to be missing a few stories so we are still working on this. Hope to have another update later today. — Joyce

TUESDAY EVENING: We’ve got the site 98% recovered, we just have to get some details done so that all the stories are accessible. Tomorrow sometime is beginning to look more than just possible.

WEDNESDAY EVENING: More progress. Fixing the little niggling problems. We do hope to have the site up tomorrow. 🙂

THURSDAY MORNING: Here is a tease to keep you going.

Screenshot of the BigCloset Secret Test Site

BigCloset Secret TestSite

Here’s an Amazon Shopping Link for those that asked for that: TG Fiction at Amazon US

Transgender Ficiton on Amazon UK

But remember, we won’t get the commission on shopping until April. I wish I could put up the Hatbox Amazon buttons here but they won’t work without the BigCloset site to return to, it would end up flagging the account.

So the best way to donate to help us out is to use PayPal at the moment. My account there is Joyce @ Qnez.com.

Thanks and Hugs, Joyce

75 Thoughts on “BigCloset, Down Again….

1. Valcyte on February 18, 2014 at 9:02 am said:

I just discovered this thread. I have been looking for updates on the main page of storyportal.net. Just a thought, but given the level of anxiety about the future of Big Closet, the hunger for the great TG fiction and the simple curiosity about what’s happening, (and the withdrawal pains), don’tcha think it would be better to have a more obvious link to this other than the minute “Recent Comments”?

I know you have more important things to do like restoring the site, but I think this thread would help generate donations and help educate your loyal readers, authors, editors and fans on the complexity, time and expense of what you are facing.

I will say it again, even if you can’t afford $100 like me at least send a five or ten. Twenty little donations helps. Share your love with Piper, Joyce, Kirstyn etal with a small donation.

Thanks guys. Can’t wait until you’re back.
    XOXXOOXO

Val

2. Val, the person that runs storyportal is one of the key people in the effort to get BC back up and running, so if this information update isn’t quite as polished as it could be we’ll have to put up with it for now. I’d rather see Krystin (sp?) devote her time to restoring BC. If you’ll think about it FM was down for months with little to no information about what was happening. BC should be up and running in less than a week. I think the BC crew are doing pretty good and I’ll happily deal with the less than polished notification system here on storyportal.

3. I’ve been posting updates into the middle of Piper’s original post rather than making a new post each day. It seemed the better way to do it.

Hugs,
    Erin

4. they all good things for we wait for it wish I can send more money but I’m on a fix income. so in the mean time I’m read the old stories on way back web. I know that the BC crew is doing their best. Just want to say thank you.

5. openspace on February 18, 2014 at 7:12 pm said:

I had just discovered the site last week. I hope to be able to keep reading it =)

6. Da11asF on February 18, 2014 at 8:17 pm said:

Erin,

You obviously have your hands full, and I for one appreciate everything that you, Piper, and everyone else are doing to restore the site – not to mention just the work involved day after day to keep it up and running.

I haven’t had a chance to make another donation on Melanie and my behalf, but I will tonight. Hopefully it will help!

Thanks again for everything that you all do for us. It is greatly appreciated!

Dallas

7. Thanks for the continuing updates. They are so much better than having no idea what the status is.

8. Da11asF on February 19, 2014 at 3:34 am said:

Yayness! A truly Hurculean task accomplished.

Dallas

9. Hurrah for persev…. perver…. purserve…. continuing to do a thing until it is done!

My enduring admiration for what you have done, and continue to do. I am minded to set up a monthly gift, and shall do so when I get home. I hope others will do so as well. This is one website I do not wish to ever submerge beneath the flood of time.

Hugs and coffee,

A.

10. LibraryGeek on February 19, 2014 at 9:31 am said:

Thank you for keeping us apprised of what’s going on, it enables us to have hope rather than despair. Denture repair and a replacement PSU have wiped out my discretionary funds, or I’d donate (I have $3.00 to last until March). May you have success in your endeavors.

Yours,

John Mead

11. John in Wauwatosa on February 19, 2014 at 9:59 am said:

Erin,

what a project you and the gang have had to endure.

Hope to see BC up soon.

John in Wauwatosa

12. Da11asF on February 20, 2014 at 3:03 am said:

Thanks for the update – I can’t wait!

Dallas

13. Valentine on February 20, 2014 at 4:39 am said:

As much as I (we) miss BC, I (we) can wait for you to get everything fixed right. Thanks for keeping us up to date on what is going on.

14. The crew of this website are honest folk. Less scrupulous people would milk this unfortunate situation to milk more funds out of people. Let’s hope Erin and company continue to receive donations enough to provide needed capital upgrades and month to month expenses which are very reasonable to say the least.

15. As an IT professisional I know how hard it is to have to recover a website after a server crash not to mention the data base that goes with it. I have to give a great big hats off to these folks for as fair as they have come in such a short time.

16. Oh, an update! What a welcome, familiar sight!

Thank you again for all your hard work putting all the odds and ends back together. Every time something Goes Wrong with computer-related things I’m always convinced that everything is gone forever, eaten by the electronic abyss. It’s so good to see that, while scrambled and poached, the Big Closet will still come out sunny side on top!

… I should probably eat something. 🙂

17. Katie Leone on February 20, 2014 at 2:55 pm said:

Aha. I knew the culprit would be whoever posted the last story. We must find them, we must hunt them down, we must demand that they be brought to justice!!! Now that we have the screen shot, we know who we must tar and feather. We must find the author of that top story, whoever wrote that…. oh wait, never mind. Look…. is that a kitten.

(Katie runs away and hides in a small third world country with dubious internet connections)

18. gauthier isabelle on February 21, 2014 at 7:09 am said:

You are back.Thank you very very very much.

19. Glad to see the site is up, mostly. I know everyone involved is working as hard as they can to get it back to full functionality.

Wish everyone well.

20. Problem I noticed after the site came back up. The character encoding is seriously messed up in every story I look at no matter what I set my browser to.

For example the site says it is in unicode and I still get this: “Hello.â€

21. Red MacDonald on February 21, 2014 at 2:29 pm said:

Welcome back!
    I tried to log in to write a blog welcoming BC/TS back, but it looks like that’s one of the things that isn’t up and operating, yet.
    You have done a great job. Well Done! I look forward to the time when we’re completely up and running.
    In the meantime, my withdrawal symptoms are lessening. Ah! I can feel the relief.
    ttfn

22. gauthier isabelle on February 21, 2014 at 5:30 pm said:

Prenez votre temps pour régler les petits problèmes qui demeurent.Mille baisers pour toute l’équipe.

23. gauthier isabelle on February 21, 2014 at 5:31 pm said:

Toutes mes excuses pour la transmission défectueuse.

24. We’re working on it. It ain’t as easy as it should be.

25. Red MacDonald on February 22, 2014 at 7:24 pm said:

Frustration!

I can see it. It’s right there. Yet, when I pick it to try to log in, it all goes away. When I try to retrieve the most recent episode of Daily Dormouse, it all goes away!
    Argh!
    This is worse than withdrawal. It’s torture! To see it, but not to read it. Oh, the Humanity!

Comment navigation