We are currently experiencing issues with the server again. We are steadfastly working to correct the situation. We will try and keep you updated as things progress.

-Piper, Joyce, Cat and Peeps.

UPDATE: It is hardware failure having corrupted the database, we’re trying to bring things back up without losing anything. Gifts to the Hatbox or the BC Hardware fund to help us out can be sent via Paypal to Joyce at QnEZ.com. Thanks.

SHORT UPDATE: BC has a gigantic database, we’ve been able to read the failed drive but the info is not in the form of a database anymore. It got scrambled, to put it in simple terms. What we’ve been doing for the last many hours is reassembling the database. We had hoped to be done by this evening but it may take a bit longer.

MORNING UPDATE: Just so everyone knows, we are making progress. 🙂

MONDAY UPDATE: We’ve made considerable progress in restoring the story database and now need to get the other parts of the data in order. Then final testings and probably some adjustments. No timeline at the moment, but soon is something that can be hoped for and looked forward to. Thanks to everyone who has contributed, that will help enormously in making plans to see this sort of thing does not happen again.

TUESDAY UPDATE: We’ve got the site up and running with most stories recovered (not publicly available, sorry), but lots of stuff still needs to be done. The internal links, kudos, read counts, private messages and a number of other things still need to be recovered and we seem to be missing a few stories so we are still working on this. Hope to have another update later today. — Joyce

TUESDAY EVENING: We’ve got the site 98% recovered, we just have to get some details done so that all the stories are accessible. Tomorrow sometime is beginning to look more than just possible.

WEDNESDAY EVENING: More progress. Fixing the little niggling problems. We do hope to have the site up tomorrow. 🙂

THURSDAY MORNING: Here is a tease to keep you going.

Screenshot of the BigCloset Secret Test Site

BigCloset Secret TestSite

Here’s an Amazon Shopping Link for those that asked for that: TG Fiction at Amazon US

Transgender Ficiton on Amazon UK

But remember, we won’t get the commission on shopping until April. I wish I could put up the Hatbox Amazon buttons here but they won’t work without the BigCloset site to return to, it would end up flagging the account.

So the best way to donate to help us out is to use PayPal at the moment. My account there is Joyce @ Qnez.com.

Thanks and Hugs, Joyce

75 Thoughts on “BigCloset, Down Again….

1. thliwent on February 13, 2014 at 8:38 pm said:

Hopefully you’ll get things back soon, but take your time. I’d rather have it properly back instead of rushed and back down again soon.

I know how hard you work 🙂

2. May the software and hardware gremlins behave themselves! Good luck, and I’ll be here waiting when things are back to “normal”!

Hugs. A.

3. jahon wolf on February 14, 2014 at 9:22 am said:

May the gods of technology bliss you and keep the gremlins at bay! Hope your back up soon! I shall be waiting for your retrun.

4. May you get all the donations and money you need to keep this worthy enterprise afloat.

5. Anyone who wants to can send gifts to the BigCloset Hatbox and hardware funds via PayPal to Joyce @ QnEZ.com. We’re going to need them. Thanks.

Hugs,
    Erin

6. I take it there’s been some sort of catastrophic hardware failure? Perhaps, a message on the main page would help draw more funds in.

7. BeetleatWar1977 on February 14, 2014 at 3:58 pm said:

Faulty Hardware? i will take a look if i could spare some money…..

8. Donation sent for the hardware fund. Hope it helps.

9. Not that I am strung out or anything, but I need a fix of the Big Closet. I sent a donation today to NPR for their fundraiser, but given how much time I spend on BC, I sent you double.

C’mon guys! Even if it’s only a fiver or a tener, (and I know you could do more), send ’em sumphin!
    I sent mine via PayPal. Do it now!!! We want our MTV!!!!! Ooops. I am dating myself. Go BC! Yea team. Boom shaka lakalaka. Etc.
    Love,
    Val

10. gauthier isabelle on February 15, 2014 at 2:49 am said:

Bonne chance pour vos réparations.Prenez tout le temps qu’il vous faudra.

11. If you want to visit the wayback machine and read some oldies to kill some time while waiting for the live server to come back up, here is the link to the author list back in Jan of 2013. most all of the links work from this.

-From an old post by Sephrena

12. Erica-Jane on February 15, 2014 at 3:44 am said:

I threw in a $20. I need my BC! 🙂

13. Podracer on February 15, 2014 at 4:18 am said:

Donation in the hat for a new whip and chair. Tell them gremlins where to go and come back soon. Missing the people and the reading.

V – 1985 is nothing, it’s only yesterday 😉

14. Donation sent via PayPal – hope it helps.

15. Ladies, I know you’ve been pretty busy and I really do appreciate your efforts, could you please provide an update on your progress pwease? Loving Hugs Talia

16. Thought I’d toss this out there, just in case…. these folks specialize in recovering data from defunct drives. (They dont decrypt or anything, just recover whats on the drive.)

They can be pricey though.

17. Andrea DiMaggio on February 16, 2014 at 2:38 am said:

Thank you!

18. Erica-Jane on February 16, 2014 at 3:19 am said:

Lots of love to the BC crew! We <3 You!

And at least no one is losing their mind overreacting to the redirect this time!

🙂

19. Thank you Erin for the latest update! Loving Hugs Talia

20. gauthier isabelle on February 16, 2014 at 4:32 am said:

Merci pour la dernière mise à jour.Je vais me renseigner comment faire un don à partir de la France.Grosses étreintes.

21. Robin_WH on February 16, 2014 at 7:29 am said:

I have always thought, that running server in RAID 1 (mirroring) drive field. Just so this did not happen. Looks like I was wrong. Well you have my thanks for all the effort you are putting into bigcloset project.

22. Amethyst on February 16, 2014 at 8:41 am said:

Thanks for the update Erin and I wish you luck getting it back into a database format. I and many others appreciate all your hard work to get the site up and running again, but don’t overwork yourselves, you all need rest sometime too.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

23. John in Wauwatosaer and the fest of your helpful elv on February 16, 2014 at 1:10 pm said:

Best of luck to you, Piper and the rest of your helpful elves in restoring BC to health.

I had a minor computer hassle this week as I mistyped the password and locked my one day old tablet.

All is well now. Awaiting the delivery of my new notebook.

Be aware my dad is in the Tucson area to visit friends and attend that HUGE gem, fossil and mineral show. Driving all the way himself. And he turns 87 in just over a month !

BTW all the free snow you want. Come to Wauwatosa and get it.

John in Wauwatosa

24. We could use the snow, perhaps we can detour some of those tanker trucks carrying oil to haul snow up to Arrowbear and San Gorgonio. Our local water reservoir is at about 8% of nominal which is 20% of what we need for the year. We can buy water from LAMWD (they stole bunches from Northern California last year) but it’s like taking a mortgage on your soul.

25. Thanks so much for the periodic updates. I know they take time away from solving the problem, but it really helps to know how things are going.

26. Please take time to take care of yourselves while you work on this.

Yes, it’s a large problem, and yes, it’s taking time to fix, but if we don’t have you healthy, we don’t have a fix.

Thanks for all you do.

27. It is absolutely in all of our interests that the database be saved at all costs, even above getting the site back up early. There is so much work that every author has poured into the site it would be tragic to lose anything really. So lets be patient and let the experts save our site ^^

PS 1: Xmas contest awards will be mailed and paypalled out Monday and Tuesday.

PS 2: Feb Contest dates will be pushed back an extra week to make up for this outage.

Sephrena

28. Contribution on its way. Thanks for everything you do. You keep me sane(ish)

Wish I could be there to help in person.

Hugs

Sandra

29. Red MacDonald on February 16, 2014 at 8:31 pm said:

Argh! I’m suffering withdrawal! No BC/TS!
    Like so many others, I am supporting you with money! You know, the green stuff you can spend. I’ve been a supporter in the past, and I’ll continue to do my part.
    I hope others are as affected as am I, and will take this opportunity to contribute to the best of their financial capabilities.

Keep up the good work, and I hope that you will be back shortly.

30. Wouldn’t have been easier to restore from backups rather than recreate the database with raw data?

{{Hugs}}

Frank

31. SamanthaMD on February 16, 2014 at 11:07 pm said:

Erin,
    How about chartering a few dozen Oil Tankers and shipping some of that pesky H2O that is inundating the southern UK to California? That might keep the glitterati in Hollywood in water for their mansions for a day or so but return enough profit so that you can replace the servers entirely.
    Just a thought as it appears the pre-monsoon monsoon has arrived here in Chennai.
    Samantha

32. thliwent on February 16, 2014 at 11:08 pm said:

I know everyone is working hard, and I want them to get it done right, but that still doesn’t help with the bike withdrawl 😛

33. Problem with the backups, they were on the same disk because the script that supposedly moved them to another disk had failed and no one noticed.

34. Jennifer Boyle on February 17, 2014 at 2:14 am said:

For future consideration maybe the database drive should be mirrored on another drive so that when one drive fails then we can switch over to that drive then look at fixing or replacing the drive that failed. As a further safeguard in the future the drive maybe could be on another machine so if the cpu hardware fails then the risk of both drives failing is further reduced. I just started a new job after being unemployed for almost two years and will hopefully be able to send some money this summer at the earliest.

35. Jennifer Boyle on February 17, 2014 at 2:18 am said:

I have a web hosting account that has unlimited file storage and maybe I could store the backup files for you on my account with godaddy.

36. First Corollary to Murphy’s Law: Murphy was an optimist.

37. Anesidora on February 17, 2014 at 4:48 am said:

One other “little” problem to think about… I had it happen to me so this isn’t conjecture.

A gradual failure of the drive controller chip (apparently a bad series of chips from one manufacturer) caused first my backup (second drive) and then the primary drive to scramble (here and there) the data it was storing.

This manifested itself noticeably first as a slowing in the data read of the data on disk that was still good and then the absolute and sudden demise of the index and a sizable portion of the data on the primary disk.

Due to the nature of the failure, the backup disk had already been compromised so the only remaining backup I had was on a pair of 64GB USB sticks. This, necessarily was nowhere near the data I had on the hard disks (697GB) but was only the very most important portions.

My only other backup was made once a month onto optical disks and that meant 162 disks per month. I now backup weekly onto a second computer which has four 1TB drives. This requires more of my time since I must “supervise” the data transfer each week and a part of that is the selection of which drive to use as the backup.

Of course I’m using “windows” but the problem wasn’t software related. The failure was due to a hardware component on the motherboard over which I had no control (if I ever had any in the first place).

Just something to consider for the future.

I don’t envy our heroic team their task. A corrupted index is something that is exceptionally difficult from which to recover.

Anesidora

38. It’s too bad an enterprise level SCSI RAID (4 or 5) is so incredibly expensive as based on what I’ve read it has a better probability of a rebuild in case of drive failure.

That said, the only real security in life is multiple backups but that is preaching to the choir.

To help the community it might be helpful to post a target of how much help will be needed for this emergency and a frank discussion about it. I am sorry it has down to such dire straits before people are willing to listen.

39. to the BC crew take your time and do it right, stay warm my self I’m still do my thing by going to stardust and some other sites so I can get my fix lol.

40. SamanthaMD on February 17, 2014 at 11:51 am said:

I’m sitting in my Hotel in India after another fruitless day trying to get more than $100K work of Computer kit working properly. The problem is with the *** SAN (Storage Array Network) This is not a cheap bit of kit but it seems to keep corrupting my database. The parallels with BC are uncanny.
    The people here do not have a clue (really) their answer seems to be to Google everything.
    *** can’t fix the problem so we have said, either they fix it tomorrow or they take their pile of dog poo they call a storage array and remove it from the site.
    Enough ranting for one day, “Time for bed said Zebedee”.

41. For Joyce Melton:

Hi Joyce! About 2 weeks ago I sent $100 in cash to your address in Calimesa in a plain envelope (ok, so call me paranoid about Amazon and credit card use on the internet). Please tell me if you received it (just a short e-mail to say you got it). If it worked, I can send the same amount again the same way, ok?
    Hugs and thank you all for your tireless efforts!
    Miriam

42. I was a Data Entry Operator/Programmer. It was a lot of work typing in raw data and transferring the data to a database. I can’t begin to imagine how much work it is when the data.is scrambled.
    Thank you for your hard.work. I will have to be patient with my withdrawal symptoms.

Thank you.

43. I know what this site means to me and so many others. I sent $300.00. I know it’s not enough. Please, everyone, give what you can.

44. Curious, were you also able to retrieve the backup file(s) in addition to the raw data?

{{Hugs}}

45. Thank you Erin for the Monday update! Loving Hugs Talia

46. @Frank, We were able to pull previous backups yes, and are using those as part of our reconstruction. As of right now, we have successfully retrieved all the stories, and the latest copy of the user table, as well as a few other things. We are just working on getting some other things that are needed to bring the site online.

47. @Miriam: Gah, you shouldn’t send cash via postal mail D: At the very least, make it a personal check or money order (the post office will sell you money orders), that way only the person you name can redeem for cash.

48. Thank you Piper! Loving Hugs Talia

49. Thanks, Piper, Joyce, Cat and Peeps, for the effort you’re putting in, to get BC up and running again – but please, don’t overdo it. Take some time for yourselves. I can wait another day – or days – provided you don’t ‘burn out’ trying to get everything done yesterday.

50. Birdman10 on February 18, 2014 at 8:53 am said:

Keep up the great work folks. Like others, I would prefer you to take the time to set the site up securely and prevent this happening again. You have many loyal fans who will wait for their favourite site to be up and running again, Thanks for all your hard work in this and keeping this amazing site up and running.

Comment navigation