We are currently transferring backups of BigCloset to outside servers. Once that is complete we will order the old drive removed, and destroyed, and the new drive installed.

Once installed, it will take the data-center possibly some time to install the new OS on the drive, and then a bit of time after that, for me (Piper) to get things just right and as needed for BigCloset.

Please hang around, and I will post updates as often as I can.

-Piper, Joyce, Cat and BigCloset Staff.

28 Thoughts on “BigCloset — Downtime

1. BeetleatWar1977 on January 25, 2014 at 1:01 pm said:

hope it works like it should…..

i’m laying in the bathtube – and had originally planned to continue with morpheus touching the moon.

sorry for the typos – this isnt easy with the kindle…

hugs

2. poholja on January 25, 2014 at 3:05 pm said:

why destroy the old HDD? Did it even fail in the first place, to cause an outage

I’m asking because I don’t understand?

3. poholja on January 25, 2014 at 4:29 pm said:

So you took down my question for a good reason?

4. poholja on January 25, 2014 at 4:29 pm said:

Oh, just in moderation. Now I see.

5. gauthier isabelle on January 25, 2014 at 5:23 pm said:

Bonne chance dans votre réparation.En attente de vous lire bientôt.Amicalement.Salut de France.

6. The Old drive was on it’s way to full failure, and would cause intermittent lag, and load issues. We will have it destroyed to make sure that any user data (backups and such) that were stored on that drive before transmission to outside datasites will NOT be accidentally accessible to 3rd parties that might pick a used drive out of the trash.

7. poholja on January 25, 2014 at 10:05 pm said:

If melting counts, ship it to me, I’ll make a candlestick.

8. Sadarsa on January 25, 2014 at 10:55 pm said:

Is this the same HDD that was giving you headaches last April?

9. I hate it I can’t login at all I know I have not forgotten my information I know I am putting it in correctly on two different computers. I hate this look and it’s feel I liked the old version better because it was different and it felt different instead now I feel like I am looking at a different version of Facebook. I am sorry but if I want the feel of facebook don’t you think I would go there?

10. BigCloset TopShelf is Currently OFFLINE. We are replacing a ailing HDD. The site will be back sometime tonight. when we finish work. In the mean time, we have directed you HERE so that you can read about the process, and not fear that someone took BigCloset offline for nefarious reasons when you’d normally hit a “can’t load bigclosetr.us” page.

11. ftldrdl on January 25, 2014 at 11:31 pm said:

it seems that neither my username or e-mail address is recognized on this new website. can you help please?

12. Sadarsa on January 26, 2014 at 1:42 am said:

*rolls eyes* omg people can you not READ? This is not the main site… the site is down for repairs. Your usernames and passes will be just fine, and NO this is not a new look for the website. If you took 5 bloody seconds to read what’s posted you’d know this already.

*Think* people….

13. Landing on January 26, 2014 at 3:01 am said:

Come on Sandarsa, this IS the internet, you don’t actually expect people to respond rationally do you? I’m pretty sure that would defeat it’s intended purpose. 😛

14. STOP BRACKING THE WEB SITE THAT WAS WOKING OK IN FIST PLACE LIKE THE OLD SAYING (DO FIX WHAT IS NOT BROCKEN IN THE FIST PLACE)

15. vickydunne on January 26, 2014 at 6:46 am said:

Hope it gets sorted soon miss my stories plus I carn,t log in all the best from across the pond huggs via

16. Kay English on January 26, 2014 at 6:53 am said:

I am halfway through reading about the O’Donnells & Beebs, am so engrosed in the story that I am now going into withdrawell, without the next chapter, I am in the UK so there is a time difference, please please tell me when you will be back.

17. @HArry, When you can figure out how to stop computer hardware failure, please let me know. In the mean time, this is NOT a story site, it’s a BLOG to let you know what is going on.

18. GwenBrenner on January 26, 2014 at 7:03 am said:

I love reading comments on things like this, it makes me feel so smart next to the peons posting hate over “the new look” lmao

19. Andrea DiMaggio on January 26, 2014 at 9:06 am said:

The fog still comes in on little cat feet!

20. DrComp on January 26, 2014 at 9:16 am said:

@KirstynF: As an IT administrator, here are a few things you can do to mitigate hard drive failures and hardware failure:
    1) Set up the server with hard drives in a RAID configuration.
    2) Use Solid State Drives instead of Spinning Platter Drives
    3) Have two or more servers set up in a fail over cluster configuration using virtual machines.

If you need more information on these options, send me a note.

21. gauthier isabelle on January 26, 2014 at 10:23 am said:

Rebonjour à tous et toutes.Faites confiance aux administrateurs du site.Un changement de disque dur ne se règle pas en cinq minutes.Gros bisous de France.

22. Isabelle: Thank you giving me a little French exercise to lighten my day. My French is poor but I love your country and visit most years and manage (usually) to get by 🙂 I will remember ‘disque dur’ for ever.

23. Ole Ulfson on January 26, 2014 at 11:59 am said:

Good God, people,

READ what KIRSTYN said… Try to comprehend and leave her to her work. Stop whining!

HARRY: Try to comprehend what’s being said…

DrComp: I’m sure Kirstyn Knows about all that, but it’s 20/20 hindsight now & I’m sure there are cost considerations as well. Remember, BCTS is supported mostly by one person, Erin. If you want to help: Contribute!

Andrea: Fog indeed & for some it will never clear.

Kirstyn & Erin: Take your time, get sleep when you need it. Your health is more important than speed. It’s better to get it right than to get it fast!!! Thank you both & all the team for all your hard work.

Ole

24. @DrComp: We Eat SSD’s faster than we do spinning platter drives. We are currently trialing HyBrid drives. And most our current servers do not support hardware raid, which is one of the reasons why we are raising money for a new set of servers for BC.

25. @DrComp: SSDs in a server? Are you insane? SSDs are not failure-proof and are less predictable, and an SSD failure is far more difficult to recover from. SSDs also have a limited number of data writes that can be performed before the memory wears itself out, which would be reached very quickly in a transaction-heavy environment like BCTS.

I can’t imagine setting up RAID or failover clusters is beyond their technical expertise, but those things cost money. Are you offering to cover hardware costs?

26. @DrComp Thanks for your suggestions , they are all things that are part of the long-term strategy. We do have a certain amount of redundancy at the data center but in this intance, the failure of a boot drive, replacing the failing part and taking a 1-day hit was the least disruptive way to go.

27. Thliwent on January 26, 2014 at 1:15 pm said:

As much as I’m missing one of my favorite sites, I’m just glad knowing that it’s being worked on to be even more stable in the future.

And I’d much rather take a day or 2 hit in access to the site than lose all the wonderful stories.

Might I suggest that, though, there be a more prominant link to the main blog page so users can see updates, the landing page for /topshelf seems to be slightly less than informative for some people.

28. Thanks for all the hard work! I suspect the lack of updates from HQ means either a) they’re taking a well-deserved rest or b) whatever is happening now is out of their hands and done by someone else (format drive, load OS, etc.) Glad that we at least have an idea what’s happening.