Hi Everyone!

As you know, we were working on getting a new server to replace our current server. Well today, one of the HDD’s failed on that server.

We have backups and data, and are currently working on moving the site to a different server.

This is not our new server (which we haven’t purchased yet) but one of out other servers that normally hosts other sites.

We will update here periodically as we make progress on getting the site back online.

-Piper, Joyce, Cat and BigCloset Staf

16 Thoughts on “BigCloset — Hardware Downtime

1. Andrea DiMaggio on April 14, 2013 at 3:49 pm said:

Oh poo!

2. mariaines on April 14, 2013 at 4:00 pm said:

I would like to know how long it will take

3. mittfh on April 14, 2013 at 5:48 pm said:

Good luck with the data move – hope everything copies across successfully, and, once back online, you have a successful fundraising drive for the new server.

4. We’re actively working on it. ETA is less than 2 hours from when I post this. That’s the best I can give you.

5. Red_MacDonald on April 14, 2013 at 9:06 pm said:

Best of luck. We have confidence … confidence … confidence …

6. TiffanyShar on April 14, 2013 at 9:25 pm said:

Sorry to hear about the hardware issues. Good luck with getting it all back up and running. Take your time, and thank you for all that you guys do!

7. Abigail Drew on April 14, 2013 at 9:49 pm said:

Darn. And here I was wanting to blog! Hope you guys can get things where you need them soon! And in the meantime get it running so I can get my fix! lol.

8. Pippa J. Kingsley on April 14, 2013 at 11:29 pm said:

Alas, these things tend to take as long as they take, and it’s often longer than we first think. I’ve been through these fire drills many times and have the merit badges and scars to prove it. You have both my sympathies and my best wishes as you work though this ordeal.

9. Dahlia on April 14, 2013 at 11:45 pm said:

Thank for the service you provide1 Here’s wishing you the best in getting the site back up and running

10. Lora Guy on April 15, 2013 at 12:48 am said:

Cold… so very cold… if I had only known withdrawal was going to be this painful… I never would have started.
    All kidding aside, thanks so much for everything you folks do for us. We would be lost without you.

11. Could you make use of a 2gb enterprise drive? It not been used much.
    ken

12. Thanks for the update. Odd coincidence that both BCTS and Fictionmania are down with apparent hardware problems at the same time.

13. Juliet on April 15, 2013 at 1:38 am said:

Thank You Piper.
    I will try back there in an hour or so.
    I thank you again for the work you and the rest of the group are doing to keep Big Closet up and running as often as it is.

14. Abigail Drew on April 15, 2013 at 2:16 am said:

It’s back! for now. YAY!

15. Charissa on April 19, 2013 at 11:15 am said:

Is it that Land 5 array dying, or is that long gone and dead?

16. @Charissa, Nope… I was running that here in the basement a while ago, in my mini-home datacenter and it got damaged from a pipe-leak flood 🙁 (it was off, so might be salvageable, but it would be a lot of work more than likely).

Right after Bob died, we purchased 4x 1U Rackmount used PenguinComputing servers (and since, 2x more, 1x from Dell and 1x from HP), and they are GREAT servers, but at the end of their life. So now we are looking at “new” hardware from penguin, plus some used stuff to run as secondary machines that will last a while.